VEGAN STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE RECIPE
I love making this for guests over summer as its so light and fruity. Unlike lots of vegan cheesecake recipes, this one only uses 1 tub of vegan cream cheese to keep the cost low but you can double the middle ingredients if you’d like it thicker. If you don’t have time to make the topping you can just replace it with canned pie fruit fillings and no-one will ever know!
What you need:
- 600g fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp caster sugar (all separated)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 x 225g pack of Tofutti cream cheese
- 1/2 cup orange juice (smooth)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine, melted (Pure or vitalite etc)
- 200g digestive biscuits (Sainsburys own were labelled vegan)
What you do:
- THE NIGHT BEFORE: Chop up 2 cups of strawberries into a bowl, cover with 1 cup cold water and 1/2 cup caster sugar.
- Mush the strawberries with your hands to help release all the juice then cover with cling film and pop in the fridge over night.
- THE NEXT DAY: Push the strawberry mixture through a sieve using the back of a spoon and discard all the big bits.
- Pour the juice into a sauce pan with the corn flour and whisk constantly for about 2-5 mins on a medium high heat until it goes nice and thick.
- Take off the heat and stir in the lemon juice and leave to cool while you do everything else.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Blend the digestive biscuits in a mixer until theyre crumbs.
- Add in 1 tbsp sugar and the melted margarine and blend until mixed.
- Press into an 8-9″ flan dish or cake pan and bake for 10 mins.
- Whilst thats cooking, clean out your mixer and blend together the cream cheese, orange juice, vegetable oil and banana until smooth.
- When the base is cooked, pour this mixture over the top and put back in the oven for 25 mins.
- After this time, take the cheesecake out and allow to cool for about 10-15 mins then pour on the strawberry sauce and some sliced strawberries. Leave to cool on the side then pop in the fridge until completely set and enjoy!