VEGAN CREME EGG TUTORIAL
So its coming up to Easter and what better treat to give your friends and family than super easy vegan creme eggs! I first put up a creme egg tutorial WAAAAAAAY back in 2009 but I wanted to find a recipe that was a bit more gooey so thats what Ive been up to this weekend!
So I tried a few different ideas like glucose and agave and rice syrup but after a bit of googling i found this amazing recipe on the indestructibles website. The only problem was corn syrup. Now you can buy bottles of this in whole foods in London or American shops or lots of other places online but its pretty steep and I don’t think I’d use it for many other things so i thought I’d make my own and it worked great except I needed to add a little more icing sugar to the mixture. (Egg moulds can be bought in most supermarkets at the moment or super cheaply on ebay).
Corn syrup recipe
- In a large saucepan mix together:
- 450g caster sugar
- 175ml water
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
2. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly
3. Cover pan with a lid, reduce heat to a simmer and leave for 3mins
4. Uncover the pan and keep simmering until the mixture is at the softball stage
5. Cool and store at room temperature for up to 2 months
Other egg fillings you can make:
And if you fancy a super sweet treat, why not try baking one on top of a vegan brownie or inside a cupcake?