Vegan ‘cream’ horn recipe
What you need:
- some horn cones – You can buy them in any cooking shop, ebay or amazon. I found Tala to be the cheapest but it depends where you shop!
- 1 x pack of ready rolled puffed pastry. Just rol is vegan and so are most own brands. Make sure you use the refrigerated one and not the frozen one unless you have masses of time to wait for it to defrost!
- a little soya milk
- Some granulated sugar (or flavoured sugar)Either:
- shop bought vegan cream:
- 350 g silken tofu
- 25 g Vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
What you do:
1. Blend together all the ‘cream’ ingredients and refrigerate for at least an hour
2. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C
3. Unroll the puff pastry and slice into strips abut 1/2 inch thick (make them the longest you can!)
4. Using a pastry brush, brush a little soya milk over each strip (dont go crazy or they wont puff!)
5. Lightly grease each horn with oil (just use your hands or some paper towel for this!)
6. starting at the pointed end wrap the pastry strips around the cone making sure you slightly over lap them and the soya milk side is facing outwards.
7. Lay the wrapped cone onto a greased/ line baking sheet with the end of the strip underneath and sprinkle with sugar.
8. Repeat for all the cones and bake for about 15 mins.
9. Allow to cool and take out the inside cones.
10. Fill with ‘cream’ using a piping bag or food bag with the end chopped off and EAT! (I also filled mine with some apple sauce or cherry sauce to give them an extra yumminess!)
NOTE: Check out this link to use your cones for savoury dishes: http://veganmenu.blogspot.com/2011/04/hickory-smoked-tofu-with-collard-greens.html